Avira Operations GmbH & Co. KG is a German multinational security software company that provides antivirus software , Internet Security, Privacy, Identity and Performance tools for computers, smartphones, servers and networks, delivered as both software and cloud-based services.
Avira’s headquarters are located near Lake Constance , in Tettnang , Germany. The company has additional offices in the USA, China, Romania and the Netherlands. 
With an estimated 9.6% of global market share according to OPSWAT , and over 100 million customers, Avira was considered the sixth-largest antivirus vendor in 2012.  
The company supports the Auerbach Stiftung, a foundation created by the company’s founder, Tjark Auerbach. It promotes charitable and social projects, the arts, culture and science. 
Avira periodically “cleans out” its virus definition files, replacing specific signatures with generic ones for a general increase in performance and scanning speed. A 15 MB clean-out database was made on 27 October 2008, Avira’s slow free edition servers. Avira responded by reducing the size of the individual update files, delivering less data in each update. Nowadays there are 32 smaller definitions files that are updated regularly in order to avoid peaks in the download of the updates. 
Advance Heuristic (AHeAD)
Avira products contain heuristics that can proactively uncover unknown malware, ie before a special virus has been created.
Heuristic virus detection involves extensive analysis and investigation of the affected codes. If the code being scanned exhibits these features it is reported to be suspicious, not necessarily malware; the user decides whether to act on or ignore the warning.
The ProActiv component uses rules sets developed by the Avira Malware Research Center to identify suspicious behavior. The rule sets are supplied by Avira databases. ProActiv sends information to Avira databases for logging.
Avira removed their own firewall technology from Windows Firewall ( Windows 7 and later), because Windows 8 and later Microsoft Windows Vista . 
Avira Protection Cloud (APC) was first introduced in 2013. It uses information available through the Internet (cloud computing) to improve detection and affect system performance less. This technology has been implemented in all paid 2013 products. APC was only used during a manual quick system scan; it was extended to real-time protection. This improved Avira’s score in the AV-Comparatives and Report from September 2013. 
Avira hit with 0day exploits
In 2005 Avira has been hit by the ACE archive buffer overflow vulnerability. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability by crafting an ACE archive and delivering it via a malicious web page or email. A buffer overflow could occur when Avira scans the malicious archive. This allows the attacker to execute arbitrary code on the affected system. 
In 2010 Avira Management Console has been hit by the free code execution vulnerability. This vulnerability is available to arbitrary code on vulnerable installations of Avira Management Console. Authentication was not required to exploit this vulnerability. 
In 2013 Avira engines has been hit by 0day exploit that allowed attackers to get access to the PC customers. The bug has been found in avipbb.sys . 
Avira offers its antivirus engine in the form of a software development kit to implement in complementary products. Strategic and technology partners of Avira include Canonical, CYAN Networks, IBM, itelligence AG, Microsoft, Novell, OPSWAT, Synergy Systems and others.
On 4 September 2014 Avira announced a partnership with Dropbox, to combine Avira’s security with Dropbox’s “sync and share” capabilities. 
Avira offers The Following security products and tools for Microsoft Windows :  
- Avira Free Antivirus
- The free edition antivirus / anti-spyware, for non-commercial use, with promotional pop-ups. 
- Avira Antivirus Pro
- The premium edition antivirus / anti-spyware. 
- Avira System Speedup
- A continuation of PC tune-up tools. 
- Avira Internet Security Suite
- Consists of Antivirus Pro + System Speedup. 
- Avira Ultimate Protection Suite
- Consists of Internet Security Suite + additional PC maintenance tools (eg SuperEasy Driver Updater). 
- Avira Rescue System
- A set of free tools that include a utility used to write a Linux -based bootable CD . It can be used to clean up an unmanaged PC, and is also able to find malware that is active (eg, some rootkits ). The tool contains the antivirus program and the virus database at the time of download. It boots the machine into the antivirus program, then scans for and removes malware, and restores normal boot and operation if necessary. It is updated frequently so that the most recent security updates are always available. 
- Avira Free Mac Security for Mac
- Runs on OS X 10.9 and above. 
Android and iOS
Avira offers the following security applications for Android and iOS mobile devices :
- Avira Antivirus Security for Android
- Free application for Android, runs on versions 2.2 and above. 
- Avira Antivirus Security Pro for Android
- Premium edition for Android, runs on versions 2.2 and above. Available as an upgrade from within the free application.
it provides additional Safe browsing, Hourly update and free tech support.
- Avira Mobile Security for iOS
- Free edition for iOS devices, such as iPhone and iPad . 
- Avira Prime
- In April of 2017 Avira launched a single-user, multi-device subscription-based product designed to provide a complete set of all products for the duration of the license along with premium support.   Avira Prime is compatible with Windows, OSX, iOS, and Android operating systems and related devices and is available to consumers in 5- and 25-device editions, “Avira Prime” and “Avira Prime Unlimited” dubbed respectively. .   Subscriptions are in 30-day and 1-year increments.  
Avira antivirus software formerly offert free for Unix and Linux , purpose This Was discontinued in 2013, ALTHOUGH Were Supplied updates up to June 2016. 
Awards and Reviews
In January 2008 Anti-Malware Lab Test gave Avira “gold” status for proactive virus detection and detection / removal of rootkits. 
AV-Comparatives awarded Avira its “AV Product of the Year” award in its “Summary Report 2008.” 
In April 2009 PC Pro Awarded Avira Premium Security Suite 9 the maximum six stars and a place on its A-list for Internet security software. 
In August 2009 Avira performed at a 98.9% percent overall malware detection rate, and was fastest on both scans and on-access scans by PC World magazine, which ranked it first on its website.  Avira Was Among the first companies recevoir OESIS OK Gold Certification,  indicating indication That Both the antispyware and antivirus components of Several of ict security products Achieved the maximum compatibility score with Widespread Network Technologies Such As SSL / TLS VPN and Network Access Control from companies Including Juniper Networks , Cisco Systems , and SonicWALL .
In February 2010 testing by firm AV-TEST , Avira is a test for malware and has a 99% score in the “adware / spyware on demand” test. 
Av-Comparatives Gets Avira Its Silver Award (for 99.5% detection rate) in its “Summary Report 2010.” 
For 2012, AV-Comparative awarded Avira with “gold” status for its 99.6% performance in the “On-Demand Malware Detection” category and classified Avira has a “Top Rated” product overall for that year. 
In the AV-Comparatives August 2014 “Real-World Protection Test,” with 669 total tests cases against various security products, Avira tied for first place. 
Avira has also received numerous VB100 awards. 
AV-Comparatives awarded Avira its “AV Product of the Year” award in its “Summary Report 2016.” 
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of firewalls
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d “About Avira” . Avira.com . Retrieved 19 July 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Contacts Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ OPSWAT. “Market Share Report June 2012” . Retrieved 30 July 2012 .
- Jump up^ “AVIRA News – Free version: Avira optimizes update system” . Avira.com. 17 November 2009 . Retrieved 21 June 2012 .
- Jump up^ “TDI filters and LSPs are not allowed – Windows 8.1 HCK” .
- Jump up^ AV-Comparative RealWorld Test September Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Jump up^ “Avira Partners with Dropbox to Bring Secure Sync and Share to Millions Globally” . Avira.com.
- Jump up^ “Download Avira Antivirus Pro” .
- Jump up^ “Avira Official Store” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Download Center” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Free Antivirus Product Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Jump up^ “Avira Antivirus Pro Product Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira System Speedup Product Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Internet Security Product Suite Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Ultimate Protection Suite Product Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 24 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira AntiVir Rescue System” . Avira.com . Retrieved 19 July 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Free Antivirus for Mac Product Page” . Avira.com . Retrieved 1 October 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Antivirus Security on Google Play” . Avira.com . Retrieved 25 July2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Mobile Security on iTunes” . Avira.com . Retrieved 25 July 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Avira Goes Prime Time With Its New All-in-One Premium Subscription Service” . www.businesswire.com . Retrieved 2017-05-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Avira Prime: first look at Avira’s new premium service – gHacks Tech News” . gHacks Technology News . 2017-04-04 . Retrieved 2017-05-03 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b technews (2017-04-04). “Avira Prime: first take a look at Avira’s new premium service – Tech News Port” . Tech News Port . Retrieved 2017-05-03 .
- Jump up^ “Discontinuation of Antivirus solutions for Linux systems on June 30th 2016” . Avira.com . Retrieved 18 December 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Anti-Malware Test Lab” . Anti-malware-test.com. Archived from the original on 19 November 2010 . Retrieved 9 November 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Summary Report 2008” (PDF) . av-comparatives.org.
- Jump up^ “Avira Premium Security Suite 9 review”at PC Pro (27 July 2010)
- Jump up^ “Avira AntiVir Personal”by Erik Larkin, PC World (24 August 2009)
- Jump up^ “Awards for Avira products” . Avira.com. Archived from the original on 7 September 2010 . Retrieved 9 November 2010 .
- Jump up^ “AV-Test release latest results”(2 September 2008)
- Jump up^ “Summary Report 2010” (PDF) . av-comparatives.org . Retrieved 24 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Summary Report 2012” (PDF) . av-comparatives.org . Retrieved 24 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Factsheet August 2014 Real-World Protection Test” (PDF) . av-comparatives.org . Retrieved 24 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Virus Bulletin: VB100 results overview – Avira” . Virusbtn.com . Retrieved 24 September 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Summary Report 2016” (PDF) . av-comparatives.org.