EICAR , the European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research , was founded in 1991 as an organization for further antivirus research and improvement of antivirus software. Recently EICAR furthered HAS icts scope to include the research of malicious software ( malware ) other than computer viruses and other extended work is information security topics like happy security, wireless LAN security, RFID and information security awareness. EICAR also organizes international security conferences most years  , as well as a number of working groups or ‘task forces’  .
“EICAR” was originally an abbreviation for “European Institute for Computer Antivirus Research” , but the organization does not have any more Security work than just antivirus research. 
EICAR test file
EICAR, in collaboration with CARO (Computer AntiVirus Research Organization), is perhaps most notable for the EICAR test file : a harmless executable string, designed to test the integrity of antivirus software. 
- Anti-Malware Testing Standards Organization
- Jump up^ http://www.eicar.org/17-0-General-Info.html
- Jump up^ http://www.eicar.org/3-0-Projects.html
- Jump up^ “About EICAR” . EICAR official website . Retrieved 19 June 2017 .
- Jump up^ David Harley, Lysa Myers & Eddy Willems. “Test Files and Product Evaluation: The Case for Malware Simulation” (PDF) . AVAR2010 13th Association of Anti Virus Asia Researchers International Conference . Archived from the original (PDF) on September 29, 2011 . Retrieved June 30, 2011 .