McAfee, Inc. ( / m æ k ə f i / ;  Known As Intel Security Group in 2014 to 2017) is an American global computer security software company headquartered in Santa Clara, Californiaand claims to be the World’s Largest dedicated security technology company. 
The company was purchased by Intel in February 2011,   and became part of the Intel Security division.
On September 7, 2016, Intel announced a strategic deal with TPG Capital to convert Intel Security into a joint venture between both companies called McAfee.  That deal closed on April 3, 2017.  Thoma Bravo took a minority stake in the new company, and Intel maintains a 49% stake.  
The company was founded in 1987 as McAfee Associates, named for its founder John McAfee , who resigned from the company in 1994.  McAfee was incorporated in the state of Delaware in 1992. Network Associates was formed in 1997 as a merger of McAfee Associates, Network General , PGP Corporation and Helix Software .
The company restructured in 2004, beginning with the sale of Magic Solutions Business to Remedy , a subsidiary of BMC Software early in the year. In mid-2004, the company sold the Sniffer Technologies business to a venture capital firm backed named Network General (the same name as the original owner of Sniffer Technologies), and changed its name to McAfee to reflect its focus on security-related technologies . [ quote needed ]
McAfee is Trusted Information Systems , which developed the Firewall Toolkit, the free software foundation for the commercial Gauntlet Firewall, which was later sold to Secure Computing Corporation .
McAfee, as a result of TIS Labs / NAI Labs / Network Associates Laboratories / McAfee Research, was highly influential in the world of Open Source software, as the production of portions of Linux , FreeBSD , and Darwin operating systems, and developed portions of the BIND SNMP server version and SNMP version 3. [ citation needed ]
McAfee had acquired Calgary , Alberta , Canada -based FSA Corporation , which helped the company diversify its security offerings away from just client-based antivirus software by bringing its own network and desktop encryption technologies.
The FSA team also oversaw the creation of a number of other technologies that were leading edge at the time, including firewall , file encryption , and public key infrastructure product lines. While these products had their own individual success stories including PowerBroker (written by Dean Huxley and Dan Freedman and BeyondTrust ), the growth of antivirus software is still outpaced in the growth of the other security product lines. It is fair to say that McAfee remains best known for its anti-virus and anti-spam products.
Acquisition by Intel
On August 19, 2010, Intel announced that it would buy McAfee for $ 48 a share in a deal valued at $ 7.68 billion.  
On January 6, 2014, Intel CEO Brian Krzanich announced during the Consumer Electronics Show the name change from McAfee Security to Intel Security. The company’s red shield logo would remain, with the firm continuing to operate as a wholly owned Intel subsidiary.  John McAfee, who does not have any involvement in the company, expressed his pleasure with the software. “I am now forever grateful to Intel for freeing me from this terrible association with the worst software on the planet.” These are not my words, but the words of millions of irate users.  However, as of 2016 the products still bore the McAfee name.
The company was spun back out of Intel on April 4, 2017. 
McAfee primarily develops digital-security tools for personal computers and servers , and more recently, [ when? ] for mobile devices .
McAfee brands, products, and sub-products include:
- McAfee Anti-Malware Core Engine (code-name: AMCore) 
- McAfee Change Control
- McAfee DAT Reputation (datreputation)  
- McAfee E-Business Server
- McAfee Entercept
- McAfee SiteAdvisor
- McAfee VirusScan
- On Dec 1, 2014 Intel Security announced the acquisition of PasswordBox, a Montreal-based provider of digital identity management solutions. Financial terms were not disclosed. 
- On July 8, 2013 Stonesoft Oyj worth $ 389 million in cash, or about $ 6.09 a share.  The Next Generation Firewall Business Acquired from Stonesoft was divested to Forcepoint in January 2016.
- On February 26, 2013 McAfee announced it had acquired the ValidEdge sandboxing technology. 
- On October 4, 2011, McAfee announced its intention to acquire privately owned NitroSecurity ,  a developer of high-performance security information and event management (SIEM) solutions that protect critical information and infrastructure. NitroSecurity solutions reduce risk exposure and increase network availability and availability by removing the scalability and performance limitations of security information management. The acquisition closed on November 30, 2011.
- On March 23, 2011, McAfee announced its intention to acquire privately owned Sentrigo ,  a leading provider of database security, including database management monitoring, database auditing, and virtual patching-which will support databases availability. The acquisition enabled McAfee to extend its database security portfolio. The acquisition closed on April 6, 2011. 
- On July 29, 2010, McAfee announced a definitive agreement to acquire tenCube, a privately held online security company that specializes in anti-theft and data security for mobile devices.  The acquisition allowed McAfee to complete its diversification into the mobile security space, and announce its plans to build the next generation mobile platform. The acquisition closed on August 25, 2010.
- Digital Trust
- On May 25, 2010, McAfee announced a definitive agreement to acquire Digital Trust, a privately held online security company that specializes in security for mobile devices. The acquisition allowed McAfee to extend its services beyond traditional endpoint security and moving into the mobile security market.  The acquisition closed on June 3, 2010.  The price for Trust Digital was not disclosed 
- MX Logic
- On July 30, 2009, McAfee announced plans to acquire managed email and web security vendor MX Logic. SaaS-based security services such as cloud-based intelligence, web security, security email, endpoint security and vulnerability assessment.  The deal closed on September 1, 2009 at a price of $ 140 million.  MX Logic staff has been integrated into McAfee’s SaaS business unit.
- Solidcore Systems
- On May 15, 2009, McAfee announced its intention to acquire Solidcore Systems , a privately held security company, for $ 33 million.  Solidcore was a maker of software that protects ATMs and other specialized computers. The acquisition integrates Solidcore’s whitelisting and compliance enforcement mechanisms into the McAfee product line.  The deal closed on June 1, 2009.
- In January 2009, McAfee announced plans to acquire Endeavor Security, a privately held maker of IPS / IDS technology.  The deal closed in February 2009 for a total purchase price of $ 3.2 million.
- Secure Computing
- On September 22, 2008, McAfee announced an agreement to acquire Secure Computing , a company specialized in network security hardware, services, and software products. The acquisition expanded McAfee’s business in securing networks and cloud computing services to provide a more comprehensive brand of products. The deal closed on November 19, 2008 at a price of $ 497 million. 
- On July 31, 2008, McAfee announced it would acquire Reconnex, a maker of data protection appliances and software. Reconnex sold data loss prevention software, designed to prevent sensitive documents and data leaving corporate networks.  The acquisition added content to McAfee’s data security portfolio.  The $ 46 million deal closed on August 12, 2008.
- On October 30, 2007, McAfee announced plans to acquire ScanAlert for $ 51 million. The acquisition integrated ScanAlert’s Hacker Safe Service and McAfee’s SiteAdvisor rating system to attack website security from both sides.  It was the industry’s first service to help consumers stay safe as they searched, surfed and shopped. The deal closed on February 7, 2008. 
- SafeBoot Holding BV
- On October 8, 2007, McAfee announced it would acquire SafeBoot Holding BV for $ 350 million.  SafeBoot provided mobile data security solutions that protected data, devices, and networks against the risk associated with loss, theft, and unauthorized access. Through the acquisition, McAfee became the vendor to deliver endpoint, network, web, e-mail and data security, as well as risk and compliance solutions. Gerhard Watzinger, CEO of SafeBoot, joined McAfee to lead the Data Protection product business unit.  The deal closed on November 19, 2007.
- Onigma Ltd
- On October 16, 2006, McAfee announced it would acquire Israel based Onigma Ltd. for $ 20 million.  Onigma provides host-based data leakage protection software that prevents intentional and unintentional leakage of sensitive data by internal users.
- On April 5, 2006, McAfee bought out SiteAdvisor for $ 70 million  in competition with Symantec, a service that warns users if downloading software or filling out a site can get malware or spam.
- IntruVert Networks
- On April 2, 2003, McAfee acquired IntruVert Networks for $ 100 million. According to Network World , “IntruVert’s technology focus is on intrusion-prevention, which is not just detecting attacks, but blocking them.” The IntruVert product line can be used as a passive intrusion-detection system, just watching and reporting, or it can be used in the intrusion-prevention mode of blocking a perceived attack. ” 
- Dr. Solomon’s Group plc
- On June 9, 1998, Network Associates agreed to acquire Dr. Solomon’s Group plc , the leading European manufacturer of antivirus software, for $ 642 million in stock.
- In August 2004, McAfee agreed to acquire Foundstone, a vendor of security consulting, training, and vulnerability management software, for $ 86 million. 
- On January 4, 2006, the Securities and Exchange Commission filed suit against McAfee for overstating its 1998-2000 net revenue by US $ 622 million .  McAfee and the settlements, and agreed to pay a $ 50 million penalty and rework its accounting practices.  The fine was for accounting fraud; known as channel stuffing that served to inflate their revenue to their investors. 
- In October 2006, McAfee fired its president Kevin Weiss,  and its CEO George Samaneuk resigned under the cloud of a recent SEC investigation which also caused the departure of Kent Roberts, the General Counsel , earlier in the year. In late December 2006 both Weiss and Samaneuk had share options awarded by McAfee’s board. Weiss and Roberts were both exonerated from all claims of McAfee in 2009. [ citation needed ]
- On April 21, 2010, beginning at approximately 14:00 UTC, millions of computers running Windows XP Service Pack 3 were affected by an error in the Windows file service ( svchost.exe ) machines, machines to lose network access and, in some cases, enter a reboot loop. McAfee rectified this by removing and replacing the faulty DAT file, version 5958, with an emergency DAT file, version 5959 and has posted a fix for the affected machines in their consumer knowledge base.  The University of Michigan’s medical school reported that 8,000 of its 25,000 computers crashed. Police in Lexington, KY., Resorted to handwritten and turned off their patrol car terminals as a precaution. Some hospitals visit, and Rhode Island hospitals turned away non-trauma patients at emergency rooms and postponed some elective surgeries.  Australian supermarket Coles reported that 10% (1,100) of its points-of-sales were affected by the country. As a result of the outage, McAfee implemented additional QA protocols for any system. The company also rolled out additional capabilities in Artemis that provide another level of protection against false positive by leveraging a whitelist of hands-off system files. 
- In August 2012, an issue with McAfee antivirus for viruses and viruses, and many in the Internet. McAfee was criticized for being slow to address the problem, forcing network operations to spend time diagnosing the issue. 
- Internet Security
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of firewalls
- Jump up^ “About Us: Home and Home Office Anti Virus Software | McAfee” . Home.mcafee.com . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “US contact” . McAfee . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ Taschler, Scott (September 1, 2010). “Quick Tips: How Do You Pronounce McAfee” . McAfee, Inc.
- Jump up^ “About McAfee” (PDF) . Mcafee.com . September 20, 2012 . Retrieved September 28, 2016 . [ permanent dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Intel Complete Acquisition of McAfee” . McAfee News . February 28, 2011.
- Jump up^ “Intel in $ 7.68bn McAfee takeover” . BBC News . August 19, 2010.
- Jump up^ “Intel Security Group” . Intelsecurity.com . September 7, 2016 . Retrieved September 28, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “A Brand New McAfee Commits to Building a Safer Future” . www.mcafee.com (Press release). McAfee. 2017-04-03 . Retrieved 2017-04-10 .
- Jump up^ “Intel sells McAfee security unit to TPG” . September 7, 2016 . Retrieved September 30, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee is back after Intel completes sale to private equity” . V3 . Retrieved 2017-04-10 .
- Jump up^ Bernabeo, Paul (2008). Inventors and Inventions, Volume 4 . Marshall Cavendish. p. 1033. ISBN 0761477675 .
- Jump up^ “Intel to Acquire McAfee” . Intel Corporation . August 19, 2010 . Retrieved August 19, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Steve Johnson. “2010: Intel to buy McAfee: Chip giant to acquire software maker for $ 7.68B – The Mercury News” . Mercurynews.com . Retrieved September 28, 2016 .
- Jump up^ Harmsworth, Vere (January 7, 2014). “CES 2014: Intel ‘s security rebranding sheds Mcafee name” . The Telegraph . Retrieved January 5,2015 .
- Jump up^ “CES 2014: Director loses direction to teleprompter fails” . BBC News. January 7, 2014 . Retrieved September 28, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee Returns to Its Roots After Intel Spin-Out” . Time, Inc. April 4, 2017 . Retrieved April 11, 2017 .
- Jump up^ Strachan, Graham; Teddy, John; Leong, Robert H. (May 2015). “Understanding McAfee Next Generation Performance Technology” (PDF). McAfee Labs White Paper. Intel Security. p. 1 . Retrieved 2017-08-28 .
McAfee Anti-Malware Core Engine (Code-named AMCore) is one of the best-of-its-kind technologies for enterprise-level security , instead of scanning all items
- Jump up^ “McAfee DAT Reputation Technology” . McAfee . 2017 . Retrieved 2017-09-03 .
McAfee DAT Reputation technology can prevent endpoints from being able to be unpredictable results in the field.
- Jump up^ Haminghton, Suzie, ed. (2004). Computer Science . New Delhi: Lotus Press. p. 55. ISBN 9788189093242 . Retrieved 2017-09-03 .
McAfee, DAT refers to the virus protection software with the latest updates.
- Jump up^ “Intel Acquires PasswordBox, Award-Winning Digital Identity Manager”(Press release). Intel. December 1, 2014 . Retrieved December 21, 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Next Generation Firewall McAfee Completes Tender Offer of Stonesoft, Next Generation Firewall Immediately Available” (Press release). McAfee. August 7, 2013 . Retrieved May 12, 2014 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee Sets a New Standard for Comprehensive Malware Protection”(Press release). McAfee. February 26, 2013 . Retrieved April 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Fahmida Y. Rashid (October 4, 2011). “McAfee Buys SIEM Provider Nitro Security” . Eweek.com . Retrieved April 30, 2013 .
- Jump up^ Business Wire (March 23, 2011). “McAfee to Acquire Sentrigo to Enhance Database Security Portfolio” . Business Wire . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Sentrigo” . McAfee. April 6, 2011 . Retrieved May 15, 2012 .
- Jump up^ 
- Jump up^ Glass, Kathryn (May 25, 2010). McAfee to Acquire Digital Trust, Foray Into Mobile Security . Foxbusiness.com . Archived from the original on May 27, 2010.
- Jump up^ “McAfee, Inc. Announces Support and Powerful Mobile Device Capabilities for iOS 4 Running Devices” . Marketwatch.com . July 1, 2010.
- Jump up^ Messmer, Ellen (May 26, 2010). “McAfee buys smart phone Trust Digital Security” . News.techworld.com .
- Jump up^ “McAfee adds MX Logic to its Global Threat Intelligence Portfolio” . Infosecurity-magazine.com . July 31, 2009.
- Jump up^ “McAfee, Inc. Full Acquisition of MX Logic” . Westcon.com.au . September 10, 2009. Archived from the original on July 6, 2011.
- Jump up^ Whitney, Lance (May 15, 2009). “McAfee to buy whitelisting Vendor Solidcore” . News.cnet.com .
- Jump up^ Messmer, Ellen (May 15, 2009). “McAfee to buy Solidcore for whitelisting technology” . Computerworld.com .
- Jump up^ Messmer, Ellen (July 31, 2009). “McAfee buys rival firm to boost services” . News.techworld.com .
- Jump up^ “McAfee acquires Secure Computing” . domain-b.com . November 19, 2008.
- Jump up^ McMillan, Robert (July 31, 2008). “McAfee to Buy Data Protection Vendor Reconnex” . Pcworld.com .
- Jump up^ McMillan. Scmagazineus.com, Robert (August 1, 2008). “McAfee picks up DLP maker Reconnex for $ 46 million” . Archived from the original on May 11, 2011.
- Jump up^ Prince, Brian (October 31, 2007). “McAfee Buys into Web Site Certification with ScanAlert Acquisition” . Eweek.com .
- Jump up^ Albanesius, Chloe (October 30, 2007). McAfee Buys ScanAlert’s Hacker Safe Tech . Pcmag.com .
- Jump up^ “McAfee acquires SafeBoot for endpoint encryption” . Searchsecurity.techtarget.com . October 9, 2007.
- Jump up^ “Complete McAfee SafeBoot Acquisition” . Net-security.org . November 20, 2007.
- Jump up^ Keizer, Gregg (October 16, 2006). “McAfee Acquires Leak Prevention Developer” . Crn.com .
- Jump up^ McMillan, Robert (June 19, 2006). “McAfee e-commerce boost sets for SiteAdvisor” . Network World . Archived from the original on June 11, 2009 . Retrieved April 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ Messmer, Ellen (April 2, 2003). “Network Associates to buy IntruVert for $ 100 million” . Network World . Archived from the original on May 11, 2011 . Retrieved April 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee’s Foundstone Broadens Firm Acquisition Security Strategy” . wsj.com . August 17, 2004.
- Jump up^ “McAfee, Inc .: Lit. Rel. No. 19520” (Press release). US Securities and Exchange Commission. January 4, 2006.
While engaging in this “channel stuffing,” McAfee improperly recorded sales to distributors.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “SEC McAfee Charges, Inc. with Accounting Fraud; McAfee Agrees to Settle and Pay a $ 50 Million Penalty; Press Release No. 2006-3” . Securities and Exchange Commission . January 4, 2006 . Retrieved April 1,2009 .
- Jump up^ Mills, Elinor (August 21, 2009). “McAfee seeks gag on exec or over options” . CNET News . Retrieved April 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee DAT 5958 Update Issues” . April 21, 2010 . Retrieved April 22,2010 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee Botched update shutting down corporate XP machines worldwide” . Engadget.com . April 21, 2010 . Retrieved April 22, 2010 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee buggy update whacks Windows XP PCs” . News.cnet.com . April 21, 2010.
- Jump up^ “McAfee forces bug Aussie closures store” . News.cnet.com . April 22, 2010.
- Jump up^ “McAfee apologizes for crippling PCs with bad update” . Computerworld.com . April 23, 2010.
- Jump up^ “McAfee Antivirus Update Causes Problems for Home and Enterprise Customers” . PCWorld . Retrieved April 30, 2013 .