Norton 360 , developed by Symantec , was an “all-in-one” security suite that combined online performance tuning protection . What distinguished this suite from Norton Internet Securityis the inclusion of optimization and problem solving tools.
Norton 360 has been distributed as a boxed copy , or has been preinstalled on computers as OEM software. Norton 360 was discontinued after being cut off from the Norton line in mid-2014, Norton Security’s Norton Security . 
Symantec announced Project Genesis on February 7, 2006. Genesis would be different from Symantec’s other consumer security products by embedding file backup and performance optimization tools with antivirus capabilities and a firewall.  Phishing protection and real-time heuristics were also planned. Windows Vista compatibility was a major aspect of Genesis . Genesis was slated for release in September. In May 2005, Microsoft announced Windows Live OneCare , a security suite with similar functionalities, slated for release in 2006.
Genesis was renamed Norton 360 on May 31, 2006. Its feature set was confirmed-it would have the same functionalities as Norton Internet Security -with backup file, performance tools, phishing protection, and real-time heuristics . A public beta test Was planned for summer 2006. The final release dates Was set at the end of 2006.   même day, McAfee annoncé Falcon , a security suite with similar Functionalities have Norton 360 and OneCare.  However, those dates were delayed. OneCare was launched in summer 2006 while Falcon public beta testing.
Some viewed Norton 360 as a response to Microsoft’s antivirus software , OneCare. However, with the release of OneCare, some of the symantec as lagging behind its rivals. Mark Bregman, Symantec’s Vice President , claimed the upcoming Norton 360 was not intended to compete with OneCare, stating “We’re having a bad impression in the market place that there’s Windows Live OneCare from Microsoft, there’s Falcon from McAfee, and there’s nothing from Symantec. . ” 
The first public beta was delivered in November 2006, compatible with Windows XP. A second beta was released December 20, 2006, adding compatibility for Windows Vista build 6000 .   After 100,000 people tested the software, Symantec began distributing to retailers in February 2007. 
Version 1.0 was released on February 26, 2007. Symantec product to use SONAR to detect zero-day viruses . It monitors applications for malicious behavior, taking action as needed.  The backup and restore functionality allowed users to a hard drive , CD , or DVD . Performance optimization tools allowed users to clear web browser history and temporary files. A disk defragmenter was bundled as part of the optimization tools. Phishing protection integrates with Internet Explorer , warning users of fraudulent sites.
In Windows XP, a 300 megahertz processor, 256 megabytes of RAM , and 300 MB of hard disk space is required. Under Vista, 800 MHz processor, 512 MB of RAM, and 300 MB of hard disk space is required.
Norton 360’s low resource usage, related to Norton Internet Security 2007 , and phishing protection. PC Magazine found the phishing protection feature to be more effective at blocking access to fraudulent sites than Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox 2 .   However, reviewers highlighted the lack of manual control for advanced users. CNET noted the lack of Internet Explorer , such as Mozilla Firefox . CNET also highlighted the lack of wireless network tools, such as notifying users when someone uninvited joins the network or help encrypting wireless signals.PC Magazine criticized the antispam filter of Version 1.0, finding it blocked only half of the spam mail, and with five percent false positive rate. 
Version 2.0 was released March 3, 2008. The backup feature can now inscribe data to Blu-ray and HD DVD discs. Multiple installations of Norton 360 can also be managed from a centralized location. When backing up files online, the user can control the amount of bandwidth Norton uses.  A registry cleaner is bundled with the performance tools, allowing the user to remove invalid entries. Phishing protection for Firefox was added. Supplementing the phishing protection is the Norton Identity Safe, which stores login credentials to websites. A network map permits users to view the status of other Norton installations on networked computers and view basic information about each computer. System requirements remain the same as version 1.0.
PC Magazine found the spam filter to be Inaccurate, with 25 percent false positive rate.  CNET encountered problems when installing version 2.0 on legacy machines. 
Version 3.0 was released on March 4, 2009.  This version uses the same code as Norton Internet Security 2009 . For earlier versions, Symantec rewrote code specifically for Norton 360. 
Norton Safe Web Version 3.0 , available as a standalone service earlier. Safe Web integrates with Firefox and Internet Explorer as a toolbar , blocking access to fraudulent and malware hosting sites. This toolbar also includes a search box, search engine queries typed in the box through the Ask.com search engine. The toolbar does not share code with the Ask.com toolbar, which was classified as spyware by McAfee , Trend Micro , and other antivirus vendors. Due to criticism of the search functionality, Symantec announced the Ask.com search box would be hidden in future releases of version 3.0.   
The ability to back up files to a flash drive was introduced in this release. Norton 360 installed. Norton also creates a virtual drive in Windows Explorer , allowing users to browse their backup files, stored locally or online. Users can restore individual files using the drag-and-drop technique. Version 3.0 does not contain which versions of files and which programs are open. A startup application manager was included in this release, allowing users to control which programs. To complement the application manager, Norton can measure the impact 
PC Magazine highlighted version 3.0’s inaccurate spam filter, misfiling half of valid mail as spam. PC Magazine aussi has Noted media session with a Symantec technician Who used the shareware app Malwarebytes Anti-Malware to remove malware from a computer, referring to it as an “online Norton program.” Controversy was raised over the fact that it was misleadingly referred to the Symantec product. 
Version 4.0 was released on February 17, 2010.  This version adds new security features found in Norton Internet Security 2010 .  Version 4 also features a GUI changes. The prominent colors now match the gold and black sunburst of Norton Internet Security . Brightmail, which according to Symantec gives 20% more results and require no training.  
Version 5.0 was released in February 2011 and offers improved performance and virus detection. It also provides updated versions of SONAR (version 3) and System Insight. Download QQ (Chat), MSN Messenger (Chat), Limewire (P2P), MSN Explorer (Browser, E-mail & Chat), Opera ( Browser), Outlook (E-mail), Thunderbird (E-mail), Windows Mail (E-mail), Chrome (Browser), BitTorrent (P2P), AOL (Browser), Yahoo Messenger (Chat), Safari (Browser) , FileZilla (File Manager), Outlook Express (E-mail).
Norton Widgets – a platform that integrates other Symantec online services directly into the UI. Also new for this version are Reputation Scan, which gives the user clear insight of the applications and files and the Safeweb for Facebook, which scans the links on the wall to check their safety. Links to Norton Recovery Tools have been added to the scanner’s interface. The backup and restore functionality has also been improved. Passmark performance test 011 rated Norton 360 5.0 the fastest and lightest all-in-one suite.
Featured Metered Broadband modes, and easily remembers logins and other personal info while protecting against online identity theft.
Version-Less (unofficially 7.0 or 2013) 20.0
This version of Norton is released on September 5, 2012, together with the newest Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security products. It was described as Version-Less in Symantec’s press release  alluding to automatic updates that always keep the software to its latest version. There is no specific version reference anywhere in the description of the software. The software is compatible with Windows 8. This version of Norton 360 features enhancements in social networking protection, anti-scam capabilities, and stronger networking defenses. Norton also introduced the extra tune up disk optimizer.
Version 21 (2014)
Version 21 of Norton’s security suite was released on September 4, 2013, together with the newest Norton Antivirus and Norton Internet Security products. Norton 360 is an antivirus solution developed on SONAR technology, which claims to be able to detect any threat, block it, and remove it, thanks to three out of five layers of shields: Threat Monitoring, Threat Removal, and Network Defense, the last one dealing with online threats before they can actually reach the user’s computer. Protection is also granted through the behavior of known threats.
Another important aspect derives from stealth capabilities, performing the scans, updates, and back-ups, with no need to worry about important files. Browser Protection and Download Insight have an eye on dangerous applications.
Version 22 (2015)
Version 22 was released on September 22, 2014.  This release was marketed as Norton Security 2015, however Norton 360 users are able to update to v22, even when Norton is withdrawing the Norton 360 brand. The appearance of the software is identical to Norton Security 2015, except for the product name in the top-left corner.
Norton 360 Editions
Norton 360 is available as Norton 360 (standard), Norton 360 Premier Edition, and Norton 360 Multi-Device. The Premier Edition has all the functions of the standard edition, with the difference that it comes with 25 GB of online storage versus 2 GB which is included with the standard edition. Norton 360 Norton 360 Premier Edition, Norton Internet Security for Mac®, and Norton Mobile Security. The comparison between Norton 360 editions and Norton One shows all the features and OS coverage.  Norton 360- Gold Edition credit card type with 5 unique sets of alpha-numeric key data on reverse.
Norton 360 software is not sold; it is a subscription for a stated period (eg one year). The software (eg firewall, antivirus) is automatically disabled at the end of the subscription period, unless a new subscription is purchased.
A special edition of Norton 360 Premier Edition, branded Norton Security Suite , is available for free to customers of Comcast Xfinity internet service. The only difference between Norton 360 Premier Edition and Norton Security Suite is the latter. ( Norton Internet Security for Mac est disponible free for Comcast Xfinity customers.) Major release updates to Norton Security Suite Occur Typically about 1 month or more after-Norton 360.
Windows 8 Consumer Preview compatibility
Windows 8 consumer preview was released on February 29, 2012.  Symantec announced that Norton AntiVirus and Internet Security, as the newest Norton 360 version 6 will be compatible with Windows 8. 
Disadvantages of older versions before 3.0
Symantec, in compliance with the FBI , whitelisted Magic Lantern , has keylogger developed by the FBI. The purpose of Magic Lantern is to get an encrypted e-mail as part of a criminal investigation. Magic Lantern was first reported in the media by Bob Sullivan of MSNBC on November 20, 2001 and by Ted Bridis of the Associated Press .  Magic Lantern is available as an e-mail attachment . When the attachment is opened, a Trojan horse is installed on the suspect’s computer. The trojan horse is activated when the suspect uses PGPencryption, often used to increase the security of email messages. When activated, the PGP password, which allows the FBI to decrypt user communications.  Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted Magic Lantern, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton Internet Security, unable to detecting Magic Lantern. Concerns include uncertainties about Magic Lantern ‘s full potential hackers and it could be subverted.  
Graham Cluley, a technology consultant from Sophos , said “We have no way of knowing if it was written by the FBI, and even if we did not, we would not know whether it was used by the FBI or if it had been ordered. by a third party “.  Another reaction came from Marc Maiffret, Chief Technical Officer and Co-Founder of eEye Digital Security, “Our customers are paying for a service, to protect them from all forms of malicious code. job for them so we do not, and will not, make any exceptions for law enforcement malware or other tools. ” 
FBI spokesperson Paul Bresson, in response to the need for a “Magic Lantern”, “Like all technology projects or tools, the FBI would be used to the appropriate legal process.”   Proponents of Magic Lantern argues the technology would be easy to enforce and enforce it. Implementing Magic Lantern does not require physical access to a computer suspect, unlike Carnivore , a predecessor to Magic Lantern, since a computer access to a computer would require a short order. 
Norton Internet Security (Windows version) is Criticized for not uninstalling completely Call, leaving Unnecessary files and registry entries.   Versions prior to 3.0 aussi installed a separate LiveUpdate program, qui updates Norton-branded software. Norton Internet Security and the LiveUpdate component manually. The LiveUpdate component is purposely left behind to other Norton-branded products, if present. Symantec has developed the Norton Removal Tool to remove registry keys and values along with files and folders. The uninstaller must be run twice. Once, then again after a computer restart, requiring a second restart. Uninstallation will not remove subscription data, saved to prevent users from installing multiple trial copies.
Windows Service Packs
When Norton 360 version 2.0 is installed, Windows XP Service Pack 3 and Windows Vista Service Pack 1 users have experienced incompatibilities . Users carry Numerous invalid Windows Registry keys added by being white has named fixcss.exe tool, resulting and in an empty Device Manager and missing Devices Such As wireless network adapters.   Symantec initially blamed Microsoft for the incompatibilities.
Dave Cole, senior director of product management, said that running Norton products were experiencing problems, but said the numbers are small. Cole also said that Symantec had done “extensive testing” of its products with Windows XP SP3, but this issue was not encountered. Cole blamed Microsoft “This is related to XP SP3.” Microsoft recommends for users to contact Windows customer support.  To resolve the problem, Symantec has issued a proposal for users before upgrading.  Symantec also recommends disabling the protection component in the 2008 release, dubbed SymProtect.  A tool to remove the registry is available from Symantec. 
Sarah Hicks, Symantec’s vice president of consumer product management, voiced about Windows Vista’s 64-bit PatchGuard feature. PatchGuard was designed by Microsoft to ensure the integrity of the kernel , a part of an operating system which interacts with the hardware. Rootkits can hide in an operating system’s kernel, complicating removal.  Mike Dalton, European president of McAfee said, “The decision to build a kernel with the assumption of claims is ridiculous,” claiming security product, Windows Live OneCare . Hicks said Symantec did not mind the competition from OneCare.  PatchGuard with instructions for obtaining a PatchGuard exploit.    After negotiations and investigations of antitrust regulators, Microsoft decided to introduce API instructions. 
Norton 360 comes with a one-year subscription which is activated upon installation, and is valid for three home computers. Expiration of the subscription to the program is not a problem, but shuts down the antivirus and the firewall as well. All the other tools, such as the bundled password manager are also inaccessible. Users often do not understand that they will be completely exposed, so their PCs become infected by viruses. 
- Norton Internet Security
- Norton AntiVirus
- Jump up^ . Symantec Corporation. March 4, 2009https://web.archive.org/web/20090511180336/http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Symantec-NASDAQ-SYMC-957065.html . Archived from the original on 2009-05-11 . Retrieved 2009-05-15 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ “Symantec considering alternative Gdrive” . Robert McMillan . The IDG Network. May 12, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec’s Roadmap Includes Massive ‘Genesis’ Suite” . Ben Z. Gottesman . PC Magazine. February 2, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Names Genesis” Norton 360 ” ” . Symantec Corporation. May 31, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ “McAfee sends ‘Falcon’ after Symantec, Microsoft” . Joris Evers . CBS Interactive Inc. May 31, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ Vivian Yeo (August 14, 2006). “Symantec admits it over-hyped Norton 360” . ZDNet Asia . CBS Interactive Inc . Retrieved 2009-06-01 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Challenge to OneCare Delayed Faces” . Joris Evers . CBS Interactive Inc. June 1, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-03 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec launches beta of new security program” . San Jose Business Journal . American City Business Journals, Inc. November 22, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 to ship next month” . Robert McMillan . The IDG Network. February 22, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec unveils SONAR to find zero-day attacks” . Robert McMillan . Infoworld, Inc. January 17, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360” . Robert Vamosi . CBS Interactive Inc. February 26, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. March 7, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-04 .
- Jump up^ Rubenking, Neil J. (February 26, 2007). “Norton 360” . Robert Vamosi . CBS Interactive Inc . Retrieved 2009-05-20 .
- Jump up^ Rubenking, Neil J. “Norton 360 Version 2.0 Tuned Up Tuneup” . PC Magazine . Retrieved 2009-02-27 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 Version 2.0 Updated Add-Ons” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. March 13, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 2.0” . Robert Vamosi . CBS Interactive Inc. March 3, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Releases Norton 360 Version 3.0” . ChannelTimes Staff . ITNation India Pvt. Ltd. April 1, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Sends Slimmed-Down Norton 360 to Beta” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. December 25, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Critics: Ask Jeeves Silently Serves Software” . Jay Lyman . ECT News Network, Inc. September 13, 2005 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 Version 3.0 Blocking Bad Web Sites” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. March 13, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Safe Search update” . Rowan Trollope . Symantec Corporation. March 17, 2009. Archived from the original on February 26, 2012 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 Version 3.0 PC Tuneup” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. March 13, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Support Gone Rogue” . Neil J. Rubenking . PC Magazine. March 6, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-04-05 .
- Jump up^ Tony Weiss (2010-02-17). “Norton 360 v4 is now available” . Symantec . Retrieved 2010-02-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Neil J. Rubenking (2010-02-17). “Norton 360 Version 4.0” . PC Mag . Retrieved 2010-02-18 .
- Jump up^ Symantec uses BrightMail to filter out SPAM with Norton 2010
- Jump up^ “Norton Protection for Windows® 8, Social Networking and Scams” . Symantec . Retrieved 2012-09-05 .
- Jump up^ “Norton Security 2015 released for download” . Neowin . Retrieved 7 January 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Norton 360 – Edition Comparison” . GoClickGo Marketing . Retrieved 2012-10-29 .
- Jump up^ Microsoft to release windows 7 consumer preview on March 29
- Jump up^ Norton is Windows 8-compatible selon Symantec.
- Jump up^ Ted Bridis. “FBI Develops Eavesdropping Tools,”Washington Post, November 22, 2001.
- Jump up^ “FBI Has a Magic Lantern” . Usgovinfo.about.com . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Invasive Software: Who’s Inside Your Computer?” (PDF) . George Lawton . July 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-20 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “The FBI’s” Magic Lantern “Bright Shines” . Kaspersky Lab. December 11, 2001 . Retrieved 2009-03-27 .
- Jump up^ Jackson, William (2001-12-06). “Antivirus vendors are wary of fbi’s magic lantern” . 1105 Media, Inc. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10 . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Will security firms detect spyware police?” . Declan McCullagh and Anne Broache . CBS Interactive Inc. July 17, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-03-27 .
- Jump up^ “FBI Confirms ‘Magic Lantern’ Project Exists” (PDF) . Elinor Mills Abreu . At Home Corporation. December 31, 2001. Archived from the original(PDF) on July 20, 2011 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “THE CASE FOR MAGIC LANTERN: SEPTEMBER 11 HIGHLIGHTS THE NEED FOR INCREASED SURVEILLANCE” (PDF) . Christopher Woo So & Miranda . Harvard Journal of Law & Technology. 2002 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “IMPLICATIONS OF SELECT NEW TECHNOLOGIES FOR INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS AND PUBLIC SAFETY” . Amitai Etzioni . Harvard Journal of Law & Technology. 2002 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Symantec uninstaller can not finish the job” . Scott Dunn . WindowsSecrets.com. February 7, 2008. Archived from the original on February 27, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-03-05 .
- Jump up^ “How can I fully remove Norton Antivirus from my system.com” . Dave Taylor . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Download and run the Norton Removal Tool” . Symantec Corporation. Archived from the original on 2009-02-23 . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “FAQ: Upgrading to Windows XP Service Pack 3 or Windows Vista Service Pack 1 with your Norton 2008 product installed” . Symantec Corporation. April 8, 2008. Archived from the original on March 25, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-03-28 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Norton software conflicts with Windows XP SP3” . Windowssecrets.com. 2008-05-29 . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ Gregg Keizer (2008-05-23). “Symantec pins blame for XP SP3 registry corruption on Microsoft” . Computerworld Inc. Archived from the originalon 2009-01-22 . Retrieved 2008-06-19 .
- Jump up^ “Battle with the Unseen-Understanding Rootkits on Windows” (PDF) . Eric Uday Kumar . Association of Anti-Virus Asia Researchers. 2006 . Retrieved 2009-03-15 .
- Jump up^ “Vista PatchGuard Hacked” . Marius Oiaga . Softpedia. October 16, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-03-11 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Snaps At Microsoft” . Lisa Lerer . Forbes.com LLC. October 10, 2006 . Retrieved 2009-03-11 .
- Jump up^ “Security Implications of Windows Vista” (PDF) . Symantec Corporation . Retrieved 2009-03-11 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Vista White Paper Links to PatchGuard Crack” . Scott M. Fulton, III . Betanews, Inc. February 28, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-03-11 .
- Jump up^ “Kaspersky Reveals the Fundamental Vulnerability of Vista PatchGuard”. Marius Oiaga . Softpedia. February 9, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-03-11 .
- Jump up^ “Microsoft to offer free security software” . Gabriel Madway . Thomson Reuters. November 18, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-03-14 .
- Jump up^ Subani, Hamad (May 18, 2010). “Buying Norton 360? Read the fine print” . Techtangerine . Retrieved 2011-08-09 .