Norton AntiVirus is an anti- malware software developed and distributed by Symantec Corporation since 1991 as part of its Norton family of computer security products. It uses signatures and heuristics to identify viruses . Other features included in it are email spam filtering and phishing protection.
Symantec distributes the product as a download, a box copy , and as OEM software . Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security , a related product, held at 61% US retail market share for security suites as of the first half of 2007. Competitors, incl. Antivirus products from CA , Trend Micro , and Kaspersky Lab . 
Norton AntiVirus runs on Microsoft Windows and macOS . Windows 7 support was in development for versions 2006 through 2008. Version 2009 has Windows 7 supported update already. Versions 2010, 2011, and 2012 all natively support Windows 7, without needing an update. Version 12 is the only version fully compatible with Mac OS X Lion . With the 2015 series of products, Symantec made changes in its portfolio and briefly discontinued Norton AntiVirus.  This action was later reversed by Norton AntiVirus Basic. 
In May 1989, Symantec launched Symantec Antivirus for the Macintosh (SAM).  SAM 2.0, released March 1990, authored SAM to intercept and eliminate new viruses, including many that did not exist at the time of the program’s release. 
In August 1990 Symantec acquired by Peter Norton Computing from Peter Norton .  Norton and his company Developed various DOS utilities Including the Norton Utilities , qui Did not include antivirus features. Symantec continued the development of acquired technologies. The technologies are marketed under the name of “Norton”, with the tagline “from Symantec”. Norton’s crossed-arm pose, registered US trademark, was traditionally featured on Norton product packaging.  However, his pose was later moved to the spine of the packaging, and eventually dropped altogether. 
By early 1991, US computers were invaded by hundreds of foreign strains and corporate PC infections. Symantec ‘s Norton Group launched Norton AntiVirus 1.0 (PC) for PC and compatible computers.  Ads for the product, with a suggested retail price of $ 129, featured Norton in his crossed-arm pose, wearing a pink shirt and surgical mask covering his nose and mouth.
With the 1998 version 5.0 update, SAM was renamed Norton AntiVirus (NAV) for Macintosh. 
Product activation was introduced in Norton AntiVirus 2004, 3.6 million counterfeit Norton products sold. An alphanumeric code is generated to identify a computer’s configuration, which is in the product key. Users are allowed to activate their product with the same product key .  Spyware and adware detection and removal was introduced to the 2005 version, with the tagline “Antispyware Edition”.  The tagline was dropped in later releases. However, Norton AntiVirus 2009 Classic does not include spyware or adware detection. Norton AntiVirus 2009, which does not contain spyware and adware detection.
Existing users of the 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009 versions can be upgraded to the latest version. Upgrading will preserve the number of days left on a user’s subscription. [ verification needed ] 
Version 2006 (13.0)
The redesigned hand graphical user interface aggregates information in a central user interface.  CNET reports the Norton Protection Center, while useful, attempts to advertise additional products. To further facilitate detection of zero-day malware, Bloodhound disassembles a variety of programming languages , and scans code for malicious instructions using predefined algorithms .  Internet Explorer homepage hijacking protection was introduced in this release as well; However, there is no need for search engine hijacking protection. CNET highlighted Norton AntiVirus 2006’s noticeable impact on system performance.
Operating system requirements for Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or Windows XP. 150 MB of free space and 300 MHz is required under the operating system. 128 MB of RAM is required under Windows 2000, while 256 MB is required in Windows XP. 
Version 2007 (14.0)
Norton AntiVirus was released on September 12, 2006.  Symantec revised Norton AntiVirus with the goal of reducing high system resource utilization.  Windows Vista compatibility was introduced in this release as well. Despite having about 80% of the rewritten code, CNET reports mixed results in performance testing. 
Windows 2000 compatibility was dropped from this release. Compatibility with 32-bit versions of Windows was added to this release with a patch from Symantec. Hardware requirements under Vista call for 150 MB free space, 800 MHz processor and 512 MB RAM. Requirements under Windows XP similarly call for 150 MB free space, 300 MHz processor, and 256 MB of RAM.
Version 2008 (15.0)
Norton AntiVirus 2008 was released on August 28, 2007. Emphasizing malware prevention, new features include SONAR , which looks for suspicious application behavior. This release adds real-time exploit protection, preventing attackers from common browser, and application vulnerabilities.  
When installed in 32-bit versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 , 300 MB of free space, a 300 MHz processor, and 256 MB of RAM is required. When installed in 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, 300 MB of free space, an 800 MHz processor, and 256 MB of RAM is needed.
Version 2009 (16.0)
Norton AntiVirus 2009 was released on September 8, 2008. Addressing performance issues, over 300 changes were made, with a “zero-impact” goal.   Benchmarking conducted by Passmark Software PTY LTD highlights its second 47-second install time, 32 second scan time, and 5 MB memory utilization. It should be noted Symantec funded the benchmark test and provided some scripts used to benchmark each participating antivirus software . 
The security status and settings are now displayed in a single main interface. CPU usage monitor displays the total CPU utilization and Norton’s CPU usage in the main interface. Other features include Norton Insight .  To address malware response times and updates are delivered updates 5 to 15 minutes. However, such updates are not tested by Symantec, and may cause false positives , or incorrectly identify files as malicious. The exploit scanner found in the 2007 and 2008 versions was dropped from this release.
When installed in 32-bit versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2, 150 MB of free space, a 300 MHz processor, and 256 MB of RAM is required. When installed in 32-bit or 64-bit versions of Windows Vista, 150 MB of free space, an 800 MHz processor, and 512 MB of RAM is required.
Two variations on Norton AntiVirus 2009 are also marketed by Symantec. The Gaming Edition provides more information about how Norton downloads and enables full-screen mode. The Classic edition can not find or remove adware and spyware .
Version 2010 (17.0)
Version 17.0 was released on September 9, 2009.  Several features have been updated in this release, including SONAR , now dubbed SONAR 2 . It is used by the application. Norton Insight can present users with information about the origins, activities, and performance of applications along with reputation data.  A new feature codenamed Autospy helps users understand what Norton did when malware was found. Previous releases removed threats on sight and quietly warned users, potentially confusing when users are deceived in downloading rogue security software. Much of this information is placed on the back of the main window; a toggle button switches between the sides.  Symantec has also added Windows 7 support. Aside from that, Symantec has also added Norton Download Insight to prevent drive by downloads.
Version 2011 (18.0)
Version 2012 (19.0)
Version 2013 (20.0)
Version 2014 (21.0)
Lack of 2015 version
Symantec briefly discontinued the Norton AntiVirus standalone product in 2015 instead of replacing it with Norton Security . 
Version 2016 (22.0)
The FBI confirmed the active development of Magic Lantern , a keylogger intended to obtain passwords to encrypt e-mail and other documents during criminal investigations. Magic Lantern was first reported in the media by Bob Sullivan of MSNBC on 20 November 2001 by Ted Bridis of the Associated Press .   The FBI intends to deploy Magic Lantern in the form of an e-mail attachment . When the attachment is opened, it installs a trojan horse on the suspect’s computer, which is activated when the suspect uses PGPencryption, often used to increase the security of email messages. When activated, the PGP password, which allows the FBI to decrypt user communications.  Symantec and other major antivirus vendors have whitelisted the Magic Lantern trojan, rendering their antivirus products, including Norton AntiVirus, unable to detecting it. Concerns about this whitelisting include uncertainties about Magic Lantern ‘s full potential surveillance and hackers could subvert it and redeploy it for purposes outside of law enforcement.  
Graham Cluley, a technology consultant from Sophos , said “We have no way of knowing if it was written by the FBI, and even if we did not, we would not know whether it was used by the FBI or if it had been ordered. by a third party “.  Another reaction came from Marc Maiffret, chief technology officer and co-founder of eEye Digital Security who states: “Our customers are paying for a service, to protect them from all forms of malicious code. to do law enforcement’s job for them, and will not, make any exceptions for law enforcement malware or other tools. ” 
Proponents of Magic Lantern argues the technology would be easy to enforce and quickly decrypt time-sensitive messages protected by encryption schemes. Implementing Magic Lantern does not require physical access to a computer suspect, unlike Carnivore , a predecessor to Magic Lantern, since a computer access to a computer would require a short order.  FBI spokesman Paul Bresson, in response to a question about whether or not it would be appropriate to deploy the software to the appropriate legal process. ”  
Update disables legitimate software
On January 28, 2010 Symantec Anti-virus update marked Spotify as Trojan Horse disabling the software across millions of PCs.  
Retail customers report slow and indifferent service on bugs. Examples include a faulty message stating current subscriptions had expired.  Users received an error stating “Your virus protection can not be updated.” This error occurred after an update to the software and refused to allow daily updates.  Though the bug was reported in 2004, it was not corrected for the 2005 or 2006 versions.
Another incident occurred in May 2007, when Norton AntiVirus flagged components of the Pegasus e-mail client as malicious, rendering the program corrupted.  Symantec customer service addressed the problem by running through a checklist of troubleshooting steps that were not always successful.
On July 25, 2006, Symantec released a faulty update for Norton AntiVirus 2006 users. Users reported an onscreen stating message “Norton AntiVirus 2006”.  Symantec Claimed the faulty update Was downloaded to customers entre 1:00 PM and 7:00 PM on July 25, 2006. Symantec has Developed workaround tool and HAS listed troubleshooting steps, disponible ici . The company released a statement, stating they expected to deliver a patch to affected users by Monday, July 31, 2006. ” 
Norton AntiVirus has been deprecated to completely uninstall , leaving unnecessary files behind.   Another issue is prior to 2009 versions installed LiveUpdate , qui updates Norton-branded software, separately. The user must uninstall both Norton AntiVirus and the LiveUpdate component manually. The LiveUpdate component is purposely left behind to other Norton-branded products, if present.  In response, Symantec developed the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) to remove the leftover registry keys and values along with files and folders. However, neither route of uninstallation would be allowed to subscribe data, but to prevent users from installing multiple trial copies. [ citation needed ]
SymNRT can only remove these Norton programs:
- Norton AntiSpam 2004 and 2005
- Norton Antivirus 2003 through 2012
- Norton Ghost 2003,9.0,10.0,12.0,1 AO and 15.0
- Norton GoBack 3.1 through 4.2
- Norton Internet Security 2003 through 2012
- Norton Password Manager
- Norton Personal Firewall 2003 through 2006
- Norton SystemWorks 2003 through 2009
- Norton Confidential Online 2007
- Norton Add-on Pack 1.0 – 4.0
- Norton Save and Restore 1.0 through 2.0
- Norton 360 / Security Suite / Business Suite 1.0 – 5.0
- Norton Safety Minder 1.0
- Norton Safe Web 3.2
Once SymNRT has started the removal process, it can not be stopped. It is recommended to close all running programs to run SymNRT. ACT! and WinFax users are recommended to back up their databases before running SymNRT.
Incompatibilities with ZoneAlarm
Norton AntiVirus 2007 will not install alongside ZoneAlarm . Norton AntiVirus 2007 Norton AntiVirus 2007 with incompatibility.  Symantec recommends removing ZoneAlarm, then reinstalling it with its Internet Worm Protection feature disabled, which controls what applications can access the Internet and which protocols they use to do so.
On March 9, 2009, some users of Norton AntiVirus 2006 and 2007 experienced Norton-associated file firewall warning, “PIFTS.exe,” was trying to connect to the Internet .  While this file was first published in the last 12 days, Symantec removed the PIFTS file. With no information available on the subject of the program there was speculation that the program was malware or a backdoor . 
The SANS Internet Storm Center The Symantec employee who has confirmed that “the program is theirs, part of the update process and not intended to do harm.”  Graham Cluley, a consultant from antivirus vendor Sophos found PIFTS connected to a Symantec server, forwarding product and computer information. 
On March 10, Symantec made an official response to the PIFTS program, claiming the support posts in the forum Were deleted due to forum spam rules; however, the deletion of PIFTS-related posts  Symantec stated PIFTS itself was a diagnostic patch.  Cole stated that Windows 7- compatible versions of Norton AntiVirus would need to be migrated to Windows 7 . PIFTS apparently has been released with a digital signature to verify its identity, causing firewalls to prompt for permission to connect to the Internet. 
Symantec has been criticized by some consumers for alleged breaches of the law, and claims that their systems have not been reimbursed. actually been infected. 
Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac released for Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard platform, with the ability to detect both Macintosh and Windows malware. Other features include a vulnerability scanner , which blocks attackers from leveraging software exploits.  Norton AntiVirus 11 also includes the ability to scan through compressed or compressed files, such as Time Capsule volumes. Operating requirements for Mac OS X Tiger .  A PowerPC or an Intel Coreprocessor, 128 MB of RAM, and 100 MB of hard disk space are also required. Norton AntiVirus Dual Protection for Mac is intended for Macintosh users with Windows running on their systems, using Boot Camp or virtualizationsoftware such as VMWare Fusion . Norton AntiVirus 11 provides Norton AntiVirus 11 with Norton AntiVirus 2009 .  
Comparison with other software
From the 2009 to 2012 editions, Symantec made huge changes to their products’ speed and performance. Norton products now only have 2 running processes, using about 24 MB of RAM.  Symantec engineers monitor said outbreaks of computer viruses to establish new viruses. As soon as a virus is recognized, information in the virus (a virus signature) is stored in a pandemic definitions file, which contains the vital know-how to become aware of and get rid of the virus.  According to Symantec, PassMark Security Benchmark 2012 Norton AntiVirus and Norton Internet Security are the lightest suites available. Av-comparatives.org also tested these products and gave similar results. PCMag Recognized 2011 and 2012 lines as the fastest and strongest in protection.  PCWorld’s tests of security software Norton Internet Security 2009 in the 1st place.  In 2011 testing of PCWorld, Norton Internet Security Was the winner. [ citation needed ] Dennis Technology Labs (powered by Symantec) confirms the performance and effectiveness of Norton 2011 and 2012 lines. 
Norton AntiVirus vs. GCSB Amendment Bill
On the 14th of August 2013 the Prime Minister of New Zealand John Key addressed what he identified as “misinformation” surrounding the GCSB Bill Amendment, claiming that the actions of the Government Security Communications Bureau were analogous to Norton AntiVirus. 
- Internet security
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of firewalls
- Jump up^ “Channel Best Sellers: Winning Security Players” . CRN Staff . United Business Media LLC. November 23, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-03-09 .
- Jump up^ http://techdows.com/2014/08/new-norton-security-to-replace-all-nine-products-of-norton.html . Missing or empty( help ); External link in( help );
- Jump up^ “Symantec Norton AntiVirus Basic” . PCMAG . Retrieved 24 February2017 .
- Jump up^ SAM Identifies Virus-Infected Files, Repairs Applications,InfoWorld, May 22, 1989
- Jump up^ SAM Update Lets Users Program for New Viruses,InfoWorld, Feb 19, 1990
- Jump up^ “COMPANY NEWS; Symantec to Acquire Peter Norton” . Lawrence M. Fisher . The New York Times Company. May 15, 1990 . Retrieved 2009-03-30 .
- Jump up^ “Legal Notice – Symantec Canada” . Symantec Corporation . Retrieved 2009-03-30 .
- Jump up^ “SYMANTEC BRAND IDENTITY” (PDF) . frog design inc . Retrieved 2009-03-30 .
- Jump up^ Foreign Virus Strains Emerge as Latest Threat to US PCs,InfoWorld, Feb 4, 1991
- Jump up^ Symantec Brings New Version of Microsoft’s Top-Selling AntiVirus Software Norton Family of ProductsPress Release.
- Jump up^ “Symantec adds product activation” . David Becker . CBS Interactive Inc. August 26, 2003 . Retrieved 2009-03-31 .
- Jump up^ “Norton Internet Security 2005 Antispyware Edition” . Robert Vamosi . CBS Interactive Inc. April 18, 2005 . Retrieved 2009-03-30 .
- Jump up^ “The Norton Update Center” . Symantec Corporation. Archived from the original on March 16, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-03-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c sralls (October 3, 2005). “Norton AntiVirus 2006 Internet security and firewall reviews – CNET Reviews” . Reviews.cnet.com . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Bloodhound” . Symantec . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec’s Norton AntiVirus 2007, Norton Internet Security 2007 Provide State-Of-The-Art Security and Performance to Protect Against Today’s Newest Threats” . September 12, 2006 . Retrieved 2010-05-29 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Robert Vamosi. “Norton AntiVirus 2007 Internet security and firewall reviews – CNET Reviews” . Reviews.cnet.com . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “New Zealand PC World Magazine> Symantec Unveils Browser Defender in its 2008 Consumer Security Software” . Pcworld.co.nz. 2007-08-30 . Retrieved 2010-11-09 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Unveils Browser Defender in its 2008 Consumer Security Software” . Gregg Keizer . Fairfax New Zealand Limited. August 30, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-03-07 .
- Jump up^ Rubenking, Neil J. (2008-11-25). “Symantec Norton Antivirus Launches ‘Gaming Edition ‘ ” . PC Magazine . Retrieved 2009-02-24 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec Launches Fastest Security Products in the World” . Symantec, Corporation. September 9, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-03-04 .
- Jump up^ Passmark Software (February 2009),Antivirus, Internet Security and Total Security Products Performance Benchmarking (2009) Vista / Dual Core Hardware, retrieved 4 October 2012
- Jump up^ Tal (January 5, 2009). “Norton Internet Security 2009” . geekstogo.com . Retrieved 2009-01-07 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Neil J. Rubenking (July 2, 2009). “Symantec Releases Norton 2010 Betas” . PC Magazine . Retrieved 15 July 2009 .
- Jump up^ Preston Gralla (July 7, 2009). “Norton Internet Security 2010 beta: Different approaches, new features, some glitches” . Thomson Reuters . Retrieved 8 July 2009 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec consolidates all Norton products into one tool” . TechRadar . Retrieved 24 February 2017 .
- Jump up^ Sullivan, Bob (2001-11-20). “FBI software cracks encryption wall” . MSNBC . Retrieved 2007-11-20 .
- Jump up^ Ted Bridis. “FBI Develops Eavesdropping Tools,” Washington Post , November 22, 2001.
- Jump up^ “FBI Has a Magic Lantern” . Usgovinfo.about.com . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Invasive Software: Who’s Inside Your Computer?” (PDF) . George Lawton . July 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-20 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ http://www.kaspersky.com (2001-12-11). “The FBI’s” Magic Lantern “Bright Shines” . Kaspersky.com . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ Jackson, William (2001-12-06). “Antivirus vendors are wary of FBI ‘s Magic Lantern – Government Computer News” . Gcn.com. Archived from the original on 2012-09-10 . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ McCullagh, Declan (2007-07-17). “Will security firms detect spyware police?” – CNET News ” . CBS Interactive, Inc . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “IMPLICATIONS OF SELECT NEW TECHNOLOGIES FOR INDIVIDUAL RIGHTS AND PUBLIC SAFETY”. Amitai Etzioni . Harvard Journal of Law & Technology. 2002. SSRN 1438669 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “FBI Confirms ‘Magic Lantern’ Project Exists” (PDF) . Elinor Mills Abreu . At Home Corporation. December 31, 2001. Archived from the original(PDF) on 2011-07-20 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “THE CASE FOR MAGIC LANTERN: SEPTEMBER 11 HIGHLIGHTS THE NEED FOR INCREASED SURVEILLANCE” (PDF) . Christopher Woo So & Miranda . Harvard Journal of Law & Technology. 2002 . Retrieved 2009-03-12 .
- Jump up^ “Trojan Horse? Spotify is detected as?” Symantec Connect Community . Aka-community.symantec.com . Retrieved 2012-10-04 .
- Jump up^ “Spotify defined as a trojan by Symantec” . Getsatisfaction.com . Retrieved 2012-10-04 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Error:” Your virus protection can not be updated “when running the Intelligent Updater” . Symantec Corporation. July 27, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-05-27 .
- Jump up^ “Pegasus Email Client Being Flagged as a Trojan Program” . DanB . TNPC Newsletter. May 18, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-05-27 .
- Jump up^ “Faulty Update Stymies Norton Users” . The Washington Post Company. 2009 . Retrieved 2009-02-26 .
- Jump up^ Vamosi, Robert (2006-07-31). “Symantec ships faulty Norton AntiVirus 2006 update – Alpha Blog – alpha.cnet.com” . Reviews.cnet.com . Retrieved 2010-11-09 .
- Jump up^ “Symantec uninstaller can not finish the job” . Scott Dunn . WindowsSecrets.com. February 7, 2008 . Retrieved 2009-03-05 .
- Jump up^ “How can I fully remove Norton Antivirus from my system?” . Dave Taylor. Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “PCWorld” . PCWorld . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ “Download and run the Norton Removal Tool” . Symantec Corporation. Archived from the original on 2009-02-23 . Retrieved 2009-02-23 .
- Jump up^ Schofield, Jack (2006-11-02). “Norton AV versus Zone Alarm – can not you have both?” . The Guardian . London . Retrieved 2010-05-20 .
- Jump up^ Beaumont, Claudine (2009-03-10). “Internet conspiracy theories abound over Symantec Pifts.exe file” . The Daily Telegraph . London . Retrieved March 10, 2009 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Krebs, Brian (2009). “Users Complain of Mysterious ‘PIFTS’ Warning”. The Washington Post . Retrieved 2010-05-20 .
- Jump up^ Frantzen, Swa (2009). “Conspiracy fodder: pifts.exe” .
- Jump up^ Cluley, Graham (2009). “The mystery of Symantec and PIFTS.EXE” .
- Jump up^ Cole, Dave (2009). “Norton product patch” PIFTS.exe “and Norton Users Forum” .
- Jump up^ “Cybercrooks Take Advantage of Symantec PIFTS.EXE Fuss” . Lucian Constantin . Softpedia. March 11, 2009 . Retrieved 2009-05-25 .
- Jump up^ “Consumer complaints about Norton” . Consumeraffairs.com . Retrieved 2010-11-09 .
- Jump up^ “Norton AntiVirus 11 for Announced Leopard” . PC World Communications, Inc. December 10, 2007 . Retrieved 2009-02-28 .
- Jump up^ “Norton Antivirus 11.0 for Mac” . about.com . Retrieved 2009-02-24 .
- Jump up^ “Norton AntiVirus 11 for Mac” . Symantec . Retrieved 2009-02-24 .
- Jump up^ “Norton AntiVirus Dual Protection for Mac” . Symantec . Retrieved 2009-02-24 .
- Jump up^ “2012 Consumer Security Products Performance Benchmarks (Edition 1)”(PDF) . Retrieved 2012-10-04 .
- Jump up^ “How Norton prevent infections” . Archived from the original on June 9, 2016.
- Jump up^ “Internet Security Suites Test Performance – July 2011” (PDF) . Retrieved 2012-10-04 .
- Jump up^ Rubenking, Neil J. “Norton Internet Security 2012” . PC Magazine .
- Jump up^ Larkin, Erik (2009-01-22). “Top Internet Security Suites: Paying for Protection” . PCWorld . Retrieved 2012-10-04 .
- Jump up^ Dennis Technology Labs (26 January 2011),Total Protection Suites PC 2011, retrieved 4 October 2012
- Jump up^ http://www.3news.co.nz/John-Key-defends-the-GCSB-bill/tabid/817/articleID/309018/Default.aspx